Sunday 20 February 2011

Fever Las Vegas

And so, another weekend down. They are passing increasingly rapidly, in fact there are only 14 more weekends until I return to the UK. Eek. This one was spent rather pleasantly. There are political troubles all over the world at the moment, even in Vienna actually. I went to a ball on Saturday night and while it was very enjoyable, I am not sure it was quite worth all the dramas in the world of Friend Politics. It was the Maturaball of the BORG in Schwechat and I was invited as Abby's date. The theme:
As this was my 5th or 6th Maturaball, I had high expectations. Luckily, I was not disappointed. In my experience, the weeks preceding the ball are spent not going to lessons in order to prepare for the ball. There is a lot of work involved, at this one there was even a wedding chapel! Oh yes, and everyone gets a "Ballspende", a little present:
Everyone was decked out in their finery. Abby and I actually looked like Grown Ups!
 The Balleröffnung is very formal, all the girls wear white dresses and the boys are in penguin suits and they do a fancy dance...
 ...and a Wiennese waltz. One day I will learn this
 There were some very questionable outfits, some worthy of a Gypsy Wedding, some on old women who really should not be showing that much leg/cleavage/skin in general and we spotted five or six women all wearing the same dress. Embarrassing! Sadly I did not photograph many of them, but I did manage to capture this fabulously glittery ensemble:
the one on the right also wore a silver sequinned jacket for much of the night, I was quite gutted when she took it off actually! It was a lovely evening, I didn't dance as I had no partner but we spent most of it talking to one of the teachers and her husband. He owns a vineyard and invited us to his wine cellar any time we like for some wine tasting so we will definitely be taking him up on that I think!
 The one downside of the evening was:
 while they are undoubtedly the most beautiful shoes I have ever owned, they are also excruciatingly painful after 6 hours. Despite sub-zero temperatures, we had to walk home barefoot.
 Today has been lovely, I caught up with a friend who I see all too infrequently. We went for lunch at Centimeter which is a brilliant place if you want to eat a lot of food from a strange receptacle. Today I had a kind of shovel full of stuff, mostly carbs actually. It was nice. It was nice to catch up, and even nicer to talk to someone different. All in all it has been a pleasant weekend, not least because it seems to be finally getting warmer. Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment