Tuesday 22 February 2011

Mit der 71er Bim fahren...

...in English this is "to travel on the 71 tram".  In my world, this means going to work because the route runs past both of my schools. In Wienerisch it means to die. To pop one's clog's. To snuff it. To kick the bucket. To go to meet one's maker. To shuffle off one's mortal coil (and so on and so forth in the style of Monty Python's Dead Parrot Sketch
 The reason for this is that the tram goes from the centre of the city to the Zentralfriedhof (central cemetery). Clever, you see?
Why I decided to go today (it has been -7 degrees) I will never know but I am glad I did. It is massive, and I mean SERIOUSLY HUGE. I could quite easily have got lost. Brace yourselves for some pretentious black and white photos of graves and the likes:


That is enough of the photos for now, I took about a million more but I think you are bored of all that artsy stuff. I spent over two hours just wandering around taking pictures on my own and it was very enjoyable. I should not say this because it has prompted people to tell me I am anti-social but don't believe a word of that.
      
 In the centre there is a church. As you probably know, I am not a big fan of churches but this one was really lovely. It is kind of Jugendstil-ish I think which means it is colourful and light. Actually it is one of the few churches I have ever seen where it is light enough to take photographs inside. So obviously I liked it. In fact, I think it might have been my favourite cemetery ever. It seemed very well-organised, the paths were all labelled nicely and there were lots of compost bins for old flowers and things. There was no graffiti and it was all very clean, much nicer than Père Lachaise in Paris.
 The whole cemetery was pretty much deserted (probably because it was so cold!) so it was very atmospheric. I found the old Jewish cemetery and had a good old nosy, it was really interesting.
It might sound silly but it made me think about how stupid Hitler was. So many of the Jewish names are German (my favourite was Sonnenschein, which is Sunshine in English), it just makes no sense to me that he was killing people from his own country, just because of their beliefs. What an idiot. But... that is a whole new blog post so I shall leave it there for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment