Sunday 10 October 2010

Have I made a huge mistake?

So, here is another update of the things that make my life in Austria what it is. On Tuesday I went into my second school just to introduce myself and fill in paperwork and stuff. The school is absolutely huge and in a lovely building with loads of archways and stuff. It's a technical school and they have lots of labs and stuff, including one where the students build robots! I had a quick look and they are pretty impressive. The teachers are lovely, all women, and in the English staffroom there is always cake and chocolate, so I think we will get on well. Also on Tuesday I did my first full day of teaching at my other school. I actually really enjoyed it and most classes were really responsive. The only class that did misbehave a bit were told by the teacher at the end that if they were going to mess about then they wouldn't get to work with the native speaker (me) again so I think they will be better next time. The students are mostly boys but I kind of like that, last time it was always the lads that are more eager and have more to say. One class want me to do a lesson on Top Gear next week so I think that will be a pretty cool group to work with.

After my one lesson on Thursday I put on my visiting shoes and headed up to Leoben for the Gösser Kirtag, which is basically a beer festival with lots of Lebkuchenherzen stands. It was fun, and really nice to see people I'd met at the induction course last week. I was home and in bed by 12.30 as well, not that it mattered as I had Friday off
 Gösser Kirtag in Leoben, Steiermark

Inappropriate break-up method?
During the day on Friday I did very little, but in the evening I went to Katie and Jenni's flat with loads of the other assistants who are in Wienna and the near, where they cooked us dinner. It was really nice, and we ended up going out to a bar afterwards for lots of fun and dancing!
And now to whether I have made a huge mistake... should I be in Wienna? Or should I have gone back to Bischofshofen/Radstadt? I was invited to the ball of the BORG Radstadt, one of my old schools. Going back there was so nice, I'd forgotten how beautiful it is. Obviously I love being in the city because I like having different things to do around every corner, but the Pongau (area where I used to live) is so lovely. It was great to see the old teachers again, and as the ball was organised by my favourite class I got to see loads of students. It was great, I didn't realise they liked me so much! They made me feel appreciated. They'd obviously worked really hard organising the ball, it had a Russian theme so all of the decorations were red, white and blue (why do so many countries have these as their national colours?! In my opinion there is not enough purple in this world). The students from the 8. Klasse all looked lovely, the girls were all wearing very expensive looking white dresses and the boys all had suits. Even the Mitternachtseinlage (a kind of performance the eldest students of the school do at midnight at the ball) was really good, which I was not expecting because they were terrible at the balls I went to last year! Now I am shattered from three nights out in a row so am going to go to bed early and watch Zwei Ohr Küken I think in preparation for another busy day tomorrow. Oh no wait, that's a lie. I have the day off so will probably spend the day wandering around town. The weather has been amazing today so hopefully it will be the same for the rest of the week!
Tschau for now!

2 comments:

  1. Maaan I'm jealous of your time off. I have none. And then I'm expected to do heaps of homework on top!
    When do you visit me in your free time ;)?

    Louis, Bapudeedoop de doop du doop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be glad you have people to fill your free time with. The only people I know here are all students, but not students like we were, actual hard working studying for masters students so it's fun at the weekends but my weekdays are otherwise soul-crushingly empty. I long for Bugs and Eis days...

    ReplyDelete