Friday 1 October 2010

Graz- the induction course

Just got home from induction course for all the British and American TAs who are going to be in this side of Austria. There were about 100 first years and four other second years. It was really good, but I am SOOOOO tired now. It was held in a castle just outside of the city and it was a really nice location, though it wasn't big enough for everyone to stay there so some people had to stay in the city and get the bus between. Not a massive problem but it was kind of a shame because I didn't really spend any time getting to know the people who weren't where I was staying.
There are some really nice people around this year, I think it is going to be amazing. There are also some incredibly annoying people that I will be glad never to see again. It was really nice that as a second year I didn't have to pay, I basically spent 5 days sitting around and laughing with the other second years.  Occasionally I had to answer a couple of questions and I had to show one of the lessons I did that worked well, but nothing too strenuous. On one of the days we had a tour of the city which was done by some students from one of the local schools which was really nice. Their English as incredibly good considering that they'd only been learning for 4 years but they were really quiet and shy.
It was nice that this course was so different to the one I went to last time, this one was a lot more calm than two years ago at Hinterglemm. Most people didn't seem interested in parties or going out apart from on the last night. I guess it's because the course was so intense and therefore everyone was tired all the time. The food was really good, especially the cake. I really don't need to eat much for the next week! Three courses for each meal is a little bit much though I think. I was introduced to The Joy of Painting this week, Bob Ross is AMAZING. Think I will probably end up watching every episode I can find! The train journey back to Vienna was a bit stressy this morning because there was a huge group of us and it got a bit difficult to organise. Finally went to the Bezirksamt today so I am no longer an illegal alien. Still have to to my Anmeldebescheinigung which apparenly costs 55 Euros now. Last time the fine for not doing it was 50 Euros so it might be worth just not doing it and having to pay the fine if I get caught. Though that is obviously not the responsible approach to the situation. It's nice to be able to just sit down in front of the telly. Right now I am watching Mieten, Kaufen, Wohnen but at 7 Das Perfekte Dinner will be on so obviously that is what I am waiting for. I am now realising that I should update this more often because there were definitely loads of other things I wanted to say but I have forgotten now. 
Tried to open a bank account this afternoon but the bank was closing. Nice to see that silly opening hours apply across Austria, not just in teeny tiny places! Well, I have run out of things to say now, so I'll stop for now until I have something interesting to update!

No comments:

Post a Comment