Monday 4 October 2010

Right...

So, it seems that all too quickly I have been reminded of one of the negative aspects of life in Austria. Racism. And before I start ranting, I am by no means saying that all Austrians are racist, or that all Austrians are supporters of the FPÖ (the Austrian equivalent of the BNP). The great majority that I have come across are tolerant, well-balanced people. Well, aside from the one class I taught last year who could not sit through a lesson on anything without turning the conversation round to immigration, and how I was the “right kind of foreigner”.

On Saturday night, rather than go to the Lange Nacht der Museen (this happens one night a year when all of the museums in Austria are open until 1am and you can go to as many as you like for a set price), I decided to go out with my housemate and her boyfriend. We went up to the U-Bahnbögen (archways under the train lines), where there are loads of different bars and clubs. First we went to Chelsea’s, a rock bar which was really good, there was a really nice atmosphere. Everyone was dancing together and just having a good time. After a while, David got a bit bored of the music as it wasn’t really what he liked so we decided to go elsewhere. There is a club that on a Sunday night has an African night, and both Karin and David had been there before, so we decided to see what it was like on a Saturday. We were turned away by the bouncers on the door. Assuming it was just because the club was too full, we went to a club further up. We were turned away again, being told that it was too late. However, not even a minute after we’d tried to get in, a huge group of students was let in. So we decided to try the club next door, Loco, where I’ve been before and had a good night. We were turned away again. David was told in no uncertain terms that “his kind” would not be admitted entry. “His kind”?! What kind of democracy allows places to have such policies, where people are turned away because of the colour of their skin? This is supposed to be the 21st Centruy! Obviously we were all angry, so we decided to take a taxi to Titanic, a club just off Mariahilferstraße that Karin and David had been to last weekend. When we got to the door we were told that the club was closed for a private function. Fair enough, we thought, so we started to walk away. At this point, another group, consisting of 3 black men and a girl approached the doorman. He began to tell them that they could not enter, but when one of them said that he had been there the night before, they were allowed in with no trouble. So David asked why he had not been admitted. It is completely pointless to argue with people like that, they aren’t going to change their minds, and eventually we went to a bar a couple of doors away. It had a really negative impact on the night, and made me realise that for all I admire Austria for keeping many of their traditions that seem to me old fashioned, these kind of bigoted attitudes that have not been seen to this extent in the UK for the past 30 years or so really make me want to reconsider my opinions.
Ironically, on our way up to the clubs that we were promptly turned away from, we passed a “Party gegen H C Strache”, which was obviously taking place the night before the pre-election polls. Great idea, I thought. 
Thinking about it later, I realise that this kind of resistance is futile. I think they got 20% of the votes yesterday, putting them in third place behind the SPÖ and the ÖVP. Their popularity is increasing, and every day they become more of a prevalent concern. There are election campaign posters for every major party all over the city but none of them make such extreme statements of the FPÖ. What they are basically calling for is an Austria for Austrians and nobody else. Today on my way home I was approached by someone from the street team who was trying to give me their manifesto. From the Green Party I got a balloon the other day. The SPÖ representative gave me a pen. What were the FPÖ offering? A lighter. Obviously this will appeal to the youth of Austria because a large percentage of them smoke. This, and the fact that they campaign in nightclubs means that more and more young people are supporting them. This is what makes this party so dangerous. I can see that in 5 years or so the situation in the UK will not be dissimilar and it really is quite worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment