Monday 31 January 2011

Wiennese Weekend

 It's taken a while, but I have finally got around to doing some tourist stuff. I must say, Vienna is a lot more pleasant when you are actually doing things rather than sitting around watching TV. Who knew? On Friday Stella and I went to the Hofburg:
We paid 9.50 and that included the Silberkammer, Sisi Museum and the Imperial Appartments. It was well worth the money, I think in England you would have paid at least £20 for the same thing. The Silberkammer was interesting for about 20 minutes but there are only so many plates and spoons you can see before it all starts to get a bit samey. The Sisi Museum was brillo, possibly because she is my favourite Austrian ever (v stylish, she's the one with the stars in her hair) though I did go off her a bit when I found out she had ankle length hair. That is just not on. The rest of it was good and although you only see a tiny part of the Hofburg, which is MASSIVE, you see quite a lot and the audio guide is good. There was a tour group of children and I was a bit jealous because they were dressed up as Sisi and I wanted a go. Maybe next time...
this is just another picture from the Hofburg. 

On Sunday we went to the Kunsthalle because Stella was desperate to see the pop art exhibition. I should have looked it up before going because it turned out to be FEMINIST pop art. I was not impressed, it was far too weird for me. I do not have enough issues to be able to relate to all that. So I left after not very long at all and went to take a few photos. Sadly it was too cold, so I soon retreated to a cafe
this is from just inside the National Library. I will have to go one day when it is open.
A sure sign that spring might finally be on its way is this:
 Whistling Mozart is back! I haven't seen him since about October! He normally stands up by the museums but yesterday he was by the Hofburg. He is sure to brighten a gloomy day. He didn't even mind me taking a picture without putting money in his tin like some of the statues on Stephansplatz who chase unsuspecting tourists. He is a very talented whistler (wonder what his Mother is like) and does all the good Mozart tunes. I'm not sure he even stops for breath!
Not much else to report other than that I have started thinking about what to do after Austria. I am in a bit of a quandary actually. What will I do? Where will I go? I am actually kind of kicking myself for not applying to JET but oh well, I could always do that next year if I still want to. I do not like having to think about grown up stuff like careers. Meh.
TTFN dears!

No comments:

Post a Comment