Sunday 28 November 2010

Pinsch, Punsch, first of many, no doubt...

While I am not Vienna's biggest fan right now, I am rather partial to one thing- the tradition of the Christkindlmarkt. In recent years I have not got into the Christmas spirit but I think this is going to be different. Partly because I know a baby to present for, and everybody knows that this is the best part of the festive season, and partly I think because of the Christkindlmärkte. There is Punsch and Glühwein galore! So far I have had:


-orange punsch
-apple punsch
-amaretto punsch
-cherry punsch
-amaretto and cherry punsch
-raspberry punsch
-coconut punsch
-apple, cinnamon and vanilla punsch


Oh and of course some Glühwein. So far I have been very restrained and only kept one souvenir mug but I am sure that is going to change as I visit more and more markets over the coming weeks.


This week has been... interesting. The Boy arrived last Sunday and was initiated into my group of friend in true style... deceptively. During our weekend in Bulgaria we hatched a plan to deceive him. An American friend of mine can do a pretty convincing British accent (not the usual rubbish you hear!) so we decided that it would be hilarious to introduce him as Joseph, and Earl who studies at King's College London. It went remarkably well and only came unstuck when Joe realised that it was impossible to eat a burger in the manner of an Earl (ie without using hands) and when he had to explain the rules of American football. Greg was deceived good an proper though, and the whole mission was deemed a success.


Having a visitor (especially one who came armed with Cadbury's and mince pies) was lovely and I got to do touristy things like wandering around. School has been rubbish this week, to put it mildly, so we went to Demel for some coffee and cake. If I were rich (and skinny) I would go there at least once a week I think, if only to watch the people who think they're posh. Of course the cake is delish too.


When I say the best things to do in Wienna involve eating and drinking, I was not exaggerating. We have had:

-Falafel from the Naschmarkt (I am now a regular customer and the stall-owner knows who I am!)
-Centimeter
-Daquiris in some random Mexican place
-Stiegl
-Fresh pasta from a fancy stall at the Naschmarkt (cooked, yes, COOKED by me!)
-Beer and Austrian food in a lovely Brauhaus in Grinzing, which is the poshest part of the city.

Christmas shopping has commenced, and I think I have been to every market in the city. The prize for the oddest sight at a Christkindlmarkt goes to the one at Karlsplatz:

Yes, there were llamas! Not entirely sure why. I decided it would be nice to go up the Kahlenberg as it was the first thing I did on my first visit to Wienna and there is a lovely view of the whole city. After a bus ride and a bit of a route march, we finally made it to the cafe/restaurant/bar I was thinking of. A lady at the Christmas Market gave us a free biscuit and we got to taste some Schnaps too which made it all worth while. And...it snowed for the first time! There was not an awful lot, but enough to excite Boyo and me. Plenty more where that came from, I'm sure!
 On Saturday there was a light dusting of snow across the whole city. I didn't really take many photos as we most of the day was spent watching bad American TV and films (yay for Nightmare Before Christmas!) but this is the view from the Oberes Belvedere.
I just came home from the pub and it was falling thick and fast. Much as I do not like the cold and wet, I am secretly looking forward to the sound of it crunching underfoot. Though obviously if it is still falling I do not intend.

What else is there to tell... probably loads of things that I have forgotten because I haven't written them down straight away which was incredibly foolish of me. Must endeavour to do better next time. I mean, I could write a whole post about how terrible school has been but really, what's the point?! No, I shall save it for next time I'm in a bad mood! 

No comments:

Post a Comment