Thursday 23 September 2010

First day as a Wienerin!

So, today was the day everything was supposed to get sorted. In my head I was going to ring this woman and she would say "oh yes, come over right now and have a look around, if you like the flat you can move in today!" However, things seldom happen in real life as they happen in my head. I rang her (incidentally, this means I have got an Austrian number now, gold star for me!) but unfortunately she is busy until the weekend so it looks like I am stuck in the hostel until at least Saturday! This may not have been so bad, had I not been confronted with a naked Spaniard when I walked in this afternoon. He didn't even seem bothered. In fact he was more annoyed that I turned the light on when I went in this evening than when I saw more than I wished to of him earlier. So, aside from the rather unsuccessful unterkunft situation, today has not been bad. It has been lovely and sunny, I knew I should have brought sunglasses! Spent most of the day in the gardens at Schönbrunn, wandering around taking photos. 

patriotism and imperial glory, doesn't get much more Austrian than this!


The Gloriette, just your typical garden ornament

Things I have seen today:
- a wedding party having photos at Schönbrunn, and some American tourists insisting on having their photo taken with them


- lots of women wearing camel, it is obviously a very in colour this season
-a couple in Trachten, looking over the Empire


-that the beggar on the bridge near my hostel takes a lunch break and goes to the cafe in the U-Bahn station.
Also, Strache's smarmy face is everywhere. I cannot think of a time when Austria hasn't been in the middle of an elections campaign. Tonight the moon is full and looks kind of blue, and I can hear lots of crickets. There is a song along these lines I think, but I do not know what it is. In the hostel tonight there are about a million school children, I think they are doing some kind of remedial German thing. Oh, another observation from today is how weird the Wien accent is! I know I'll get used to it eventually, but I don't think it is my favourite Dialekt, they all sound really whiny and mardy. Hmmmm run out of things to say now, plus I can see an Australian's builder's bum all too clearly so I think I will head off to Bedfordshire and maybe watch a film.
Over and out.



2 comments:

  1. naked spaniard...it's like you're in rowie's head :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Mediterraneans are a dirty breed

    ReplyDelete