Wednesday 2 March 2011

The Red Shoes

Last time I lived in Austria I eventually became used the the fact that people here are not as interested in clothes as people in the UK. When you live in the mountains it is OK to wear walking boots as standard (not that I did!) and when temperatures are well below freezing in the day time who cares if your clothes don't match. Fair enough. In Vienna, what with it being a capital city and all, I thought it would be different. For the past week it has been FREEZING, I might have mentioned that, and I have been wearing all my clothes in one go. Now it seems to have finally started to get a bit warmer, so I thought that this might mean that people start wearing their nicer clothes. I for one was getting sick of wearing the same shoes, so I decided to break out these babies:
 Having bought them over Christmas I have only had the chance to wear them once and have been longing for the day it is warm enough for one pair of tights and shoes like this ever since. I did not, however, expect them to draw attention. They were commented on not only at school, but also on the way there and back. I have never had so many funny looks. A couple of people told me they liked them. I took this to mean "Why oh why is it impossible to buy nice footwear in Austria?" So, despite the fact that they seem to be scandalising the whole city I shall of course be wearing them again, probably tomorrow.
Today is the first day for a long while that I have not felt the need to have a nap after school so I decided I would go for a walk. I went through the Stadtpark to visit Mr Strauss:
who was not surrounded by tourists, which is most unusual. My wanderings then took me to Cafe Schwarzenberg, a place I have seen many times on my journey from school straight into town. It looks very fancy from the outside and I have never dared go in before because I always assumed that fancy looking means expensive.
 While the nice, posh places are a tiny bit more pricey, the difference really is not that great. I had a lovely afternoon, just sitting. I decided to be brave and try the Turkish coffee:
       
It was strong and black, which is how I normally drink my coffee so I really liked it. I also liked the funny little pot it was served in. The turkish delight that came with it was... interesting. I enjoyed the two little pieces I had but do not think I could have eaten anymore. It was flavoured with honey and was therefore incredibly sweet. I think that is about all I have to report for today so I shall bid you all a fond adieu.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather-

    First off, apologies for posting in a comment box, but I couldn't find your email to contact you otherwise.

    I'm the editor of Expat Arrivals.com (http://www.expatarrivals.com), a site devoted to developing comprehensive destination guides aimed at easing expat transitions abroad. Currently we're working hard to make our Austria guide the best it can be and one of the sections we'd like to gather more content for is the "Expat Experiences" section.

    I came across your blog through my research and was wondering if you'd be interested in being interviewed (via email questionnaire) regarding your experience. Drop me a line and let me know what you think.

    Best-
    Stephanie
    stephanie@expatarrivals.com

    ReplyDelete