Friday 6 May 2011

Hanging around in graveyards

Greetings, faithful readers! Sorry for the sporadic nature of my posts recently, not having the internet in my flat is proving to be a bit tricky. I am trying my best to make the most of it whenever I get access to a computer. Like now for example. I am in the staffroom at work on a computer which is probably not much younger than me! As you know from previous posts, I am a graveyard fan. Last week I went to the one just behind Bad School, the St Marxer Friedhof. It is the last Biedermeier cemetery, whatever that means. I think it means it is all old and overgrown. I do not really have anything else to say about it, just lots more boring pictures for you all to yawn at: 




 If I were poetic and artistic and cultured, I would probably be able to make some link between dandelion clocks and the passage of time and death. But I'm not, so I can't.

  

 This is the graveyard where Mozart was initially dumped in a mass grave because he was povvo. Of course I took several pictures of it, but it appears that I forgot to put it on my stick this morning so it looks like you will just have to wait to see it. Sorry about that.
After the graveyard I headed back into town to enjoy the sun. I ended up in the Burggarten where I did some lying in the sun. My relaxing was shortlived though, because before long I was interrupted by a very loud group of Spanish tourists all wearing white trousers. WHYYY do they think that is acceptable behaviour (the trousers, I mean)? It is not.
 Franz Josef. The master.
 Sorry, just a few more flower photos. Though I think peonies are actually summer flowers so I can get away with it because it is not more spring flowers (apologies for the lilac overload earlier in the post by the way!)


 I am not sure whether this is still part of the Albertina (art gallery) or just a regular part of the Hofburg complex. Either way it is rather beautiful.
 This is the Palmenhaus, and the Augustinerkirche (?) in the background. I love the Palmenhaus, mainly because it is Jugendstil. but also because they do a very nice pumpkin soup in the autumn.



 In my many years as a German learner, I have become increasingly aware of Ausländerfeindlichkeit (nastiness towards foreigners), in particular towards the Turkish. I came across this fence in the First District. It appears to be a Turk brandishing one of those scary looking curved swords. Seems like this is a long-lasting hatred of a nation.
 Oh yes, did anyone know that a big royal event took place recently? This fancy shop decided to incorporate the very current theme into their display. A lovely family group, demonstrating the hot knitwear trends of the moment:
 Who knew that Prince Charles was such a snappy dresser?
Hey look! In that car! I'm sure he's somebody I know....
...oh no wait, it's only bloody Mozart. AGAIN.
Oh and one last thing. I had some Rolos. Here is the last one. I saved it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment