Tuesday 26 April 2011

A Little Holiday (?)

When some friends suggested a "holiday" while I was back in the UK, I was powerless to resist. I LOVE holidays! Yes, even if that holiday is actually more travelling than holiday and two hours on the Isle of Wight. We drove over The Bridge. Considering the number of times I have been over it in the past year, I really ought to know which river it crosses. I am going to make a stab in the dark and say the River Severn. No doubt my willing critics will bombard me with emails/texts if this is wrong.
 There was lots of singing on the way down. I think we all know who did the most/loudest/worst.
 After meeting Bish and Andrew at the hotel (Premier Inn, as endorsed by Lenny Henry) in Southampton, we spent two hours doing pretty much nothing before getting on the ferry.
 It was a small ferry but luckily it was sunny so we could sit outside and it didn't matter that there was nothing to keep me entertained.
 When we finally arrived on the Isle of Wight an hour later, we decided that spending another hour in the car would be the best thing to do. So we drove to The Needles (which I didn't even have time to photograph) It is an area of immense natural beauty, so of course it has been colonised by Dirty People and their fairground rides/coloured sand shops/overpriced cafes. The sea looked nice in the sun.
 But as we only had about an hour out of the car, we didn't even make it to the beach. I was disappointed and not very impressed with the planning (because boys did it) but I did not say anything.
 So we drove back to Cowes to get on the ferry. I liked this warehouse:
 I took some more photos of the ferry, even though it was exactly the same.
So, after all the excitement of the main part of the holiday, we went out in Southampton. I bet you did not know that Freddie Mercury was from there, or indeed that he shopped at BHS.
 After a nice meal we went out for a couple of drinks (including a cinnamon mojito which I would definitely recommend. Not if it's your round though!) and somehow it ended up being 2am and we were in Reflex. How these things happen I will never know.
The next morning we had to leave quite early because Boyo had work, but there was time for Wetherspoons breakfast before we left. So yes, that is the story of our holiday. Whether it was worth the faff, I am still undecided but it was nice to see people again.

No comments:

Post a Comment